Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Savory Oven-Crisp Chicken

I've recently become a fan of this simple and versatile recipe.  Just serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable; it's an easy, yummy meal!

4-5 thawed boneless, skinless breasts (or a bunch of tenders)
milk
1/2 c french fried onions
1 c crushed saltines
1 c cornmeal
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dry ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
butter


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease the bottom of 9x13 pan with butter, set aside.  Pour some milk into a pie pan or shallow dish, and mix all the other dry ingredients together in another.  Dip the breasts in milk and quickly dredge them in breading mixture.  Repeat for a good thick coating by patting the breasts with milk until the first coating is well moistened, then dredging a second time.  Place the pieces in the pan and bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, until no longer pink inside.


P.S. When I cook, I tend to throw ingredients together without measuring... exactly... but it's easy to adjust the amount of breading depending on the number of breasts used.  And it's easy to switch the spices to make italian chicken, and serve with pasta instead.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Looks delish and easy...thats my kind of recipe. I just need to get some french fried onions.